Indicated for the prevention and treatment of calcium deficiency. It can be used along with other medicines for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
He also is also indicated, along with vitamin D3, in the treatment of rickets and osteomalacia.
This product is no longer in stock
1. WHAT IS Calcium-Sandoz AND WHAT IT IS USED
Calcium-Sandoz contains calcium, which is an essential mineral necessary for the formation and maintenance of bones.
Calcium-Sandoz is indicated for the prevention and treatment of calcium deficiency and can be used along with other medicines for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis (low bone mass).
Calcium-Sandoz is also indicated, along with vitamin D3, in the treatment of rickets (softening of bones in growth in children) and osteomalacia (softening of bones in adults).
Calcium is absorbed from the intestine and is distributed throughout the body via the blood. Calcium also plays an important role in various bodily functions. It is essential for the nerves, muscles and heart function as well as for blood clotting. It also mediates the action of several hormones. To perform all these functions, calcium should be available in appropriate concentrations to the appropriate tissues.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE Calcium-Sandoz
Do not take Calcium-Sandoz if:
- If you are allergic to calcium or to any component of Calcium-Sandoz (see list of components at the end of the leaflet, paragraph 6)
- If you have high blood calcium levels (hypercalcemia)
- If you have increased levels of calcium in urine (hypercalciuria).
- If you have certain kidney disorders, such as stones in the renal tract (nephrolithiasis) or calcium deposits in the kidney tissue (nephrocalcinosis).
Take special care with Calcium-Sandoz:
- If you suffer from kidney disease, consult your doctor before taking Calcium-Sandoz, especially if you also take aluminum-containing preparations.
- Do not take Vitamin D products with Calcium-Sandoz without consulting a doctor.
Using other medicines
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription, since calcium can interact with some medications if taken at the same time.
- If you are taking or have recently taken cardiac glycosides (heart medicine), thiazide diuretics (treatment of hypertension) or corticosteroids (anti-inflammatory), should carefully follow your doctor's instructions.
- If you are taking bisphosphonate or sodium fluoride orally, do not take Calcium-Sandoz until elapsed, at least 3 hours after taking these medications.
- If you are taking any antibiotic tetracycline group, do not take Calcium-Sandoz until elapsed, at least 2 hours after taking the antibiotic either 4-6 hours before.
Use of Calcium-Sandoz with food and drink:
Do not administer Calcium-Sandoz up to 2 hours after ingestion of foods rich in oxalic acid or phytic acid, such as spinach, rhubarb or whole grains.
Pregnancy and lactation
- Consult your doctor or pharmacist before using any medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Calcium-Sandoz can be used during pregnancy and lactation should be a calcium deficiency. In general, the recommended daily intake (including meals and supplements) for pregnant or lactating women is 1000-1300 mg calcium. The total daily calcium intake during pregnancy and lactation should not exceed 1500 mg.
- Calcium passes into breast milk, but not cause any adverse reaction in the newborn.
Driving and using machines:
- No effect of administration of Calcium-Sandoz on ability to drive and use machines is not known.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Calcium-Sandoz:
- Calcium-Sandoz is suitable for diabetics (1 effervescent tablet contains 0,002 units of carbohydrates).
- Patients undergoing diets to control sodium should consult a doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine. Calcium-Sandoz contains 68.45 mg sodium per tablet.
- If you think you have an intolerance to some sugars, consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Calcium-Sandoz contains aspartame, a source of phenylalanine, which may be harmful for people with phenylketonuria.
3. HOW TO TAKE Calcium-Sandoz
Follow these instructions carefully unless your doctor gave you different advice. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have doubts.
The usual dose of Calcium-Sandoz is:
- Children: 1 effervescent tablet (single dose) once or twice daily (equivalent to 500-1000 mg of calcium).
- Adults: 1 effervescent tablet (single dose) once, twice or three times a day (equivalent to 500-1500 mg of calcium).
Effervescent tablets dissolved in a glass of water (about 200 ml) and drink immediately. Do not swallow or chew the tablets.
Calcium-Sandoz may be taken with or without food.
How long should you take Calcium-Sandoz
Take Calcium-Sandoz at the recommended as long as you have advised the doctor or pharmacist daily dose. Since Calcium-Sandoz is used in the prevention and treatment of calcium deficiency and, together with other medicines in the prevention and treatment of a disease called osteoporosis (low bone mass), it is likely that treatment will be long-lasting.
If you take more Calcium-Sandoz than you should
An overdose of Calcium-Sandoz may cause nausea, vomiting, thirst or constipation. If you suspect you have taken more Calcium-Sandoz than you should, stop treatment and contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
If you forget to take Calcium-Sandoz:
Do not take a double dose to make up for missed doses.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Calcium-Sandoz can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. These side effects can be:
- Very rare (affects less than 1 in 10,000 patients) include: serious, such as swelling of the face, lips, tongue and / or throat that may cause difficulty in swallowing allergic reactions.
If you experience any of these side effects, discontinue treatment with Calcium-Sandoz and tell your doctor immediately.
- Rare (affects less than 1 in 1,000 patients) include: Nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation, flatulence, vomiting, itching, redness and / or burning skin
- Uncommon (affects less than 1 in 100 patients): Excessive calcium level in the blood (hypercalcemia) or excessive excretion of calcium in the urine (hypercalciuria).
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
5. CONSERVATION of Calcium-Sandoz 500 mg effervescent tablets
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Date of Expiry:
Calcium-Sandoz Do not use after the expiration date on the carton and tube after "EXP". The expiry date refers to the last day of the month indicated.
Store in the original package and keep the tube tightly closed.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
The active substances are lactatogluconato calcium and calcium carbonate. Each effervescent tablet contains:
- 1132 mg of calcium lactatogluconato and 875 mg of calcium-carbonate (equivalent to 500 mg of calcium).
The other ingredients (excipients) are:
- Anhydrous citric acid, orange flavoring (containing orange essential oils, maltodextrin, gum arabic, sorbitol (E 420) and glucose), aspartame (E951), macrogol 6000 and sodium hydrogencarbonate.
Authorisation Holder and manufacturer Marketing
Holder of the marketing authorization
Sandoz S.A. Big Dipper Business Center
Bear Avenue # 4
28023 (Aravaca) Madrid
Novartis Consumer Health, S.A. Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, 764
08013 Barcelona, Spain
Responsible for manufacturing
1, Avenue du Champ de Mars,
F-45072 Orléans Cedex 2, France
SALUTAS PHARMA GMBH Dieselstrasse 5
70839 Gerlinger, Germany
5 Avenue de Concyr
45071 Orleans Cedex 2-France
Source: Spanish Agency for Medicines and Health Products
* All prices indicated are tax included